Definition of "Riders, life policies"
Endorsements to life insurance policies that provide additional benefits or limit an insurance company's liability for payment of benefits under certain conditions. These include:
- Waiver of Premium for Disability. An insured with total disability that lasts for a specified period no longer has to pay premiums for theduration of the disability. In effect, the company pays the premiums.
- Accidental Death Benefit.
- GUARANTEED INSURABILITY.
- COST-OF-LIVING ADJUSTMENT (COLA).
- Other Insured. Term life insurance is added on a person other than the primary insured, with the rate based on the other person's age,sex, underwriting classification, and amount of coverage.
- Children's Insurance. Term insurance on each child is added, usually to the age of majority. Generally, a child cannot becomeinsured before the age of 15 days or after his or her eighteenth birthday.
- Additional Insurance. Term insurance can be added to ordinary life policies as an additional layer of coverage for some specified timeinterval.
- Transfer of Insureds. In business situations, generally used to insure key persons with the cash value and the insurance coveragetransferable from the initial insured person to another person.