Definition of "Administrator’s Deed"

Pamela Watkins real estate agent

Written by

Pamela Watkinselite badge icon

Dalton Wade Real Estate

When a person dies, a distribution of their estate takes place. The estate’s distribution is done through deeds depending on whether or not the deceased left a will. Two types of deeds are used to administer the estate of a deceased individual. Both usually need to be prepared by the individual responsible for the estate, be it an administrator or executor, and be officially worded. Also, for a deed to be legally binding, it has to be witnessed and legally notarized.

What is an Administrator’s Deed?

When a loved one dies, a will might be left to distribute their estate according to their desire. The executor’s deed will follow and state its conformity to the Will left behind by the deceased.

However, if a Will wasn’t completed or found invalid by a court, the Probate Court appoints an administrator of an estate. The administrator’s deed is a legal and binding document used to transfer property in the absence of a Will.

Once all the other responsibilities related to the intestate’s estate were fulfilled, and the estate administrator has knowledge about all the remaining assets of the estate, they have to prepare the administrator’s deed. Within this deed, they must explain why he/she decided to distribute the remaining assets in that way. 

Before the whole process is finalized and the Administrator’s Deed releases and distributes the  estate’s remaining assets, family members have no claim to it. 

An estate administrator must be careful not to release any remaining property to the beneficiaries too soon. The remaining property should be used to cover any potential debts of the deceased. Assigned too soon or before the debts have been paid in full could incur contingencies or the need to come up with the money on short notice.

Comments for Administrator’s Deed

Julie Rice Julie Rice said:

my husband died intestate in ny state. i was awarded the home in which only his name is on the deed, i am was also appointed administrator of his estate. no one ever told me how to transfer the deed to the house into my name?

Jul 01, 2023  21:19:35

Real Estate Agent

Hello Julie,
Since every state has adopted different laws in such cases, the best course of action would be to contact an established real estate attorney in the state of New York! You'll require the administrator deed proving your claim to the property in the absence of a proper will. Also, you'll need the original deed and get the appropriate deed form. Then, you must draft the deed. Next, sign the deed before a notary. Also, remember to record the deed with the county recorder! Then, you can obtain the new original deed.We wish you good luck!

Jul 17, 2023  09:37:39
Lavirture Russell Lavirture Russell said:

Does it mean I solely on the property without debt to anyone ?

May 31, 2023  17:38:03

Real Estate Agent

Hello Lavirture! Thank you for reaching out to us!

If the deceased didn't leave a will behind or their last testament was found invalid in court, the so-called probate court comes into the big picture. The Probate Court will point an estate administrator in the so-called Aministrator Deed. The administrator is a fully empowered entity responsible for the assets described in the Deed.

Suppose the Administrator's Deed doesn't establish any other lawful administrators (or beneficiaries, for that matter). In that case, outside parties have no legal claim over it. To ensure you're the only property owner, please seek a real estate attorney's expert advice!

Jun 08, 2023  10:00:42
Donna Camp Donna Camp said:

An Administrator's Deed was obtained on my mother's passing (1998) by my brother. I was never privy to the actual document (although I did ask for a copy) until 2020 after my brother passed in 2016 and his widow filed for a Final Order for Year's Support. My saw name is on the original Administrator's Deed but misspelled on the second page (different last name). I have been trying to get that name corrected but was told by various lawyers I had to go back to the original lawyer used, which was an employee benefit legal plan and that policy is no longer active. Can the Probate Court in Georgia help me get this corrected as we are both disputing the ownership of this home. No lawyer wanted to touch it due to "Covid".

May 14, 2023  12:36:37

Real Estate Agent

Hello Donna! Thank you for getting in touch with us. Right off the bat, it is apparent that there's no roundabout process but to contact established Georgian probate attorneys to represent your probate case expertly. We see no reason why the Probate Court in Georgia won't grant you the correction of your name on the Aministrator's Deed if you provide them with the necessary paperwork and identification. We wish you the best of luck!

May 15, 2023  08:18:12
Bobbie Solis Bobbie Solis said:

My dad died and it says on the deed that I'm the adminstratrix does that mean I own the property can I put it in my name without an attorney in fla because I live in NC my dad has been dead for years

Apr 22, 2023  15:06:25

Real Estate Agent

Hello Bobbie Solis!
We strongly recommend you contact an attorney at law who specializes in real estate matters and will. As your name appears on the administrative deed, you won't likely face any legal issues inheriting the property. We wish you the best of luck with your legal proceedings!

Apr 24, 2023  11:15:17
Willie Willie said:

Can you get administrative deed prior to paying all debts In the state of Georgia

Apr 18, 2023  15:21:19

Real Estate Agent

Hello Willie, 

Thank you for reaching out to us! As laws vary from state to state, we recommend contacting an experienced attorney to provide a reliable solution.

However, an estate administrator must be cautious while releasing any leftover property to the beneficiaries. The deceased's remaining property should be utilized to settle any possible debts.  If the assignment is made prematurely or before the obligations have been paid in full, it may result in contingencies or the need to come up with the money quickly.

We wish you the best of luck!

Apr 24, 2023  11:08:21
Hope Hope said:

My brother signed for me on a property as I could not do it at the time. I have a copy of the deed saying we are joint Tennant I pay all bills everything and have documents to prove he died recently .I sent in a copy of all the insurance mortgage payments ect.what else needs to be done.

Mar 23, 2023  10:37:14

Real Estate Agent

Hello Hope,

As legal matters vary from state to state, and we don't know the particulars, the best course of action would be to reach out to a professional real estate attorney who can provide you with the necessary guidelines.


Mar 31, 2023  09:43:34
Yvonne Yvonne said:

Administrator of estate, sister was owner of the house, both parents died, only one other sibling that signed a waiver of rights to the house. How do I have the deed changed into my name only?

Jul 25, 2022  18:15:21

Real Estate Agent

Hey Yvonne! Thank you for reaching out to us. If I understand the situation correctly, you are the appointed administrator of the estate your sister owned, and you have one other sibling that waived their right to the estate. If this is the case, as the estate administrator, you could have the right to transfer the property to your name by applying for the certificate of transfer of real property with the probate court. However, you need to understand that aside from the fact that probate procedures can be complicated, laws can differ by state or municipality.

This information is general, based on the limited information provided. You should not consider this legal advice, and I suggest you consult with an attorney on this matter.

Jul 28, 2022  10:58:31
image of a real estate dictionary page

Have a question or comment?

We're here to help.

*** Your email address will remain confidential.


Popular Real Estate Terms

Clause in a mortgage that allows the borrower to pay more than the monthly amount and to retire the loan early without a penalty. ...

Stated rate of interest on the face amount of a loan or installment note. ...

Provision in a written agreement that depends on the occurrence of something else. ...

To default on a loan means to intentionally or unintentionally miss several consecutive monthly payments over the course of a few weeks or months. Most borrowers learn the definition of ...

An early term used to describe all types of real estate property, improvements to the land, and all rights accruing to the land. ...

Fee paid only if other criteria are met. ...

Same as term soil porosity: Extent to which soil has cavities or pores, thereby allowing water to pass through. ...

Statutes stipulating that the property of deceased individuals is distributed in a way that assumes that property during marriage is jointly owned and equally shared by the spouses ...

A judicial ruling in which the rights and claims of the parties have been considered. A final ruling on some aspect formed after all the facts have been taken into account. In Real ...

Popular Real Estate Questions