1034 Rollover Exchange (Sale Or Exchange Of The Residence)

Definition of "1034 rollover exchange (Sale or exchange of the residence)"

Chuck Lapham real estate agent

Written by

Chuck Laphamelite badge icon

Keller Williams Realty

Tax-free exchange that allows a seller two years after escrow closes on his former principal personal residence to buy like-kind property and defer taxes. Profits from the sale of a principal residence are not taxed if, essentially, the purchase price of the new residence is equal or greater than the sales price of the old residence. Also, the new residence must be acquired and personally occupied within 24 months before or after the sale of the old residence, for a 48-month period. To accurately set the amount of profit deferred, the net sales price and adjusted sales price of the old residence must be calculated. From these respective figures are derived the actual profit and minimum purchase price of the new residence to fully avoid taxes on the profit. The 24-month sale-to-replacement period offers the homeowner the opportunity to use the net sales proceeds from the old residence for short-term, high-yield money market investments. These investments are liquid and generally more lucrative than real estate acquisitions during periods of high interest rate.


Need help as a:

I'm interested to:


I work in:

Reach out to the local professionals for help
I agree to receive FREE real estate advice.

Agents, get listed in your area. Sign up Now!

Here's what you'll get:

1. Full zipcodes coverage for the city of your choice for 3 months

2. The ability to reach a wider audience

3. No annual contract and no hidden fees

4. Live customer support/No robo calls

$75 - Any City - 3 Months Coverage
loader gif

Please wait ...

I agree to receive FREE real estate advice
I agree with Terms & Conditions and Section 5-5.9.

Comments for 1034 Rollover Exchange (Sale Or Exchange Of The Residence)

Elaine Elaine said:

If I already bought a home, can I use the roll over deferral of taxes from the sale of my existing home that I am about to sell? The new home I have just bought for cash is $400,000. My current home is worth around $700,000.

Jun 26, 2021  17:38:08

Real Estate Agent

Hey Elaine! Thank you for reaching out to us. You should look into the "Primary Residence Exclusion" if the home you sold was your primary residence. The only condition is that you used it as a primary residence for at least 2 years of the last 5 years before selling. Through this tax exemption, you are allowed to exclude $250,000 if you are a single homeowner or up to $500,000 if the home was owned by a married couple. This type of tax exception can not be applied to your second home or a vacation home, only to the primary residence.

Jul 01, 2021  12:03:25
image of a real estate dictionary page

Have a question or comment?

We're here to help.

*** Your email address will remain confidential.


Popular Real Estate Terms

Region or locality that assesses real estate taxes on the properties located within its borders. Frequently, the local county or city is the property taxing jurisdiction which is empowered, ...

Amount subject to depreciation, which equals the initial cost less the estimated salvage value. ...

Covering on the top exterior of a window. ...

Long, wide piece of lumber having a minimum width of 8 inches with a minimum thickness of 1 inch for hardwood and 2 to 4 inches for softwood. ...

A roof having two slopes on each side. The second slope is longer than the first part of the roof and extremely steep. ...

Mortgage banker is the person or business that originates mortgages and receives payments. The mortgage banker typically sells these mortgages to investors and obtains service fees for the ...

The person to receive the benefits of a trust when distribution occurs. Secondary beneficiaries may be nominated if the primary beneficiary predeceased the trust distribution. The ...

Storing or keeping something such as an expansion tank holding hot water. ...

Builder's ten-year guarantee that their workmanship, materials, and construction are up to established standards. The HOW provides reimbursement for the cost of remedying specified defects. ...

Popular Real Estate Questions